Friday, July 26, 2019

Packing for 7 but staying for 14 (or longer)

Travel and Leisure

inside tag on blazer
The first few times I went to Europe, I was a little worried about keeping up with European fashion. I mean, North Americans in general, are a lot more casual than most countries, and it makes us stick out when we travel to Europe. And despite buying European-branded clothes, we still don't blend in like the locals do, from my experience. But when I Google "packing for a 2-week European vacation", most hits will talk about women's fashion and travel options. Rick Steves has some good tips about what clothes to pack, so I'll just comment here on what I like to bring and why.

casual wear
Tees work with shorts and chinos
If I were to use one word to describe the clothes to bring to Europe, it would be 'versatility'. You want to be able to wear a simple t-shirt one day with say, a pair of slim, classic shorts (not cargo shorts), and then a couple of days later with some 5-pocket chinos; maybe that evening under a blazer for dinner. I usually bring 4 tees in white, grey, light blue and one other neutral colour. Sticking with one scheme and neutral colours without patterns will ensure that you don't end up with an item that only works with that one outfit. I go with light-coloured tops, as I tend to get hot easily, and they reflect more sun rather than dark ones that absorb the warming rays. Medium-toned pants or shorts and darker sweaters or jackets ensure that I can mix-and-match easily. Avoid screened t-shirts (so 00s anyway); that way you can dress one up with a simple blazer for strolling the shops or dining out. If an item can't be worn repeatedly, it won't be in my luggage.

canoe safari Zambezi River
Safari gear doesn't translate in Europe
I am always on the lookout for items that are not only multi-purpose, but are wrinkle-resistant and possibly even quick-drying. When I was travelling for business often, I tried some of the travel-specific clothing from Eddie Bauer called Travex. I bring one of their polo shirts, or one of their short-sleeve Oxfords that could be worn under a blazer in the evening.  Usually their shirts have just enough cotton to be comfortable, but mixed with polyester so that they dry quickly. Similarly, Arc'teryx makes hiking/travel wear that is blended for comfort and durability. It's expensive, so I watch for guys selling items on FB Marketplace and found some 4-way stretch trousers that are perfect for travelling and the plane, as well as walking around town. I also have a pair of their shorts, in a lightweight nylon, so they can double as swim shorts. Jeans are ok for the shoulder seasons, but get hot when in the city on a muggy summer day.  Therefore, I rarely take jeans to Europe anymore, and find that a pair of neutral-coloured, 5-pocket chinos are a good replacement, and much more versatile. Fjallraven also makes great (but expensive) travel wear; I have a pair of their Traveller Trousers, which are great for warmer weather trips. I once had a pair of those convertible pants where the bottoms zip off when I was on safari in Africa (pictured), but they don't blend in well in Europe.

Speaking of that, nothing screams, "I'm a tourist" like a Tilley hat - yes, I know they have a lifetime warranty, but you become an obvious target for the unscrupulous when wearing one in Europe. My recommendation is to save it for day hikes or the beach, as this young woman is doing; when I need protection from the sun, I use a simple baseball cap that I found at Marks and Spencer in Prague. You'll always look different than the Europeans, no matter how hard you try, but if you keep it to simple things without a lot of logos, NFL team wear etc., you might not stick out so much. My agent describes me as "ethnically ambiguous"; with understated colours and classic styles, I am often mistaken for European, that is until I can't answer back in Spanish! Just the other day, another Extra from Belarus said that I look like I could be from Kazakhstan... huh.

Lightweight, comfy shoes are a must for walking around the cobblestone streets of Europe; I made the mistake of bringing some that didn't have great cushioning one time, and my feet were always sore by the end of the day. These days, the fashion is "lifestyle sneakers" anyways, so you don't need those old-style hiking shoes. I changed recently to these New Balance ones, as they are good enough with chinos and work with shorts too. I also recently purchased a pair of Arc'teryx Gore-Tex shoes to withstand potential inclement weather if we're travelling more towards the shoulder seasons. Then I pack a second pair of brown casual slip-ons that can be worn for checking out the shops in town and when out for dinner. I leave my flip-flops at home, unless we're headed to a beach destination as part of our itinerary. She has tried both ON and Vessi shoes, and ended up replacing both with a pair of street-style Nike ones.

evening light in the Netherlands
As is often the case, we are going to Europe in the spring, or early fall, taking advantage of the cooler weather and reduced tourist traffic. In addition to the versatile Fjallraven travel jacket I always bring now, I have a synthetic, mid-layer jacket that I like to use, depending on the destination and time of year. It packs down into its own pocket when not in use, and when coupled with a light sweater, can handle most temperatures we will encounter. It's also good for getting to the airport on a dreary October day in Vancouver. A 1/4 zip sweater or cardigan is essential almost all year, as we found out one cool May in Florence, when we had to go buy sweaters to ward off the chill.

Sometimes, I like to bring a blazer with me (ideally one designed for travel like this), either navy or black, depending on where we will be going and what we're doing. e.g. A week in the Algarve wouldn't call for one, but for sure would bring one to Paris, or on a river cruise. I haven't often been upgraded to business class by the gate agent, but I figure my chances are better if I look like I belong in the cushy seats. And then when she is wearing a dress out for dinner, I'll throw on my blazer as well. I usually pack one white or blue oxford shirt; I can roll up the sleeves if it is warm on a day outing, and it dresses up my chinos when I'm wearing the blazer. 
Edit:
I’ve since picked up a “travel blazer” by Fjallraven (pictured); it’s not really a blazer, but it does dress up things a bit vs. just wearing a button-down Oxford. I’ve realised that when we are out in town on our own, we really don’t go to restaurants where a blazer is the norm; we prefer casual dining, and the travel jacket is more multi-functional for my needs. It’s a great late spring, late summer jacket, but as it’s a fitted garment that only allows a thin sweater underneath, and doesn’t have a zipper or hood, it won’t be coming along when it’s closing in on fall weather.

Travel laundry essentials
With a little bit of hand-washing in the hotel sink, I can stretch out 6 or 7 days-worth of clothing for two weeks. We did find a laundromat a couple of blocks from the Vatican, after spending a week in Florence and Cinque Terre, which took care of us for the rest of the trip. And of course, you can always buy something if you really need it. We've also embraced Airbnbs as a way to stay right in the heart of the old town areas; now we try to book ones that have a washing machine. Note that dryers are not as common in Europe, but they do exist if you look for them.

This all fits in my standard luggage item (carry-on sized); being able to keep your luggage with you ensures that it all arrives at the same place you do. I am not a fan of packing cubes, as I don't find much value in separating items within my luggage. By rolling shirts, they arrive without too much wrinkling, and you can tuck them into nooks and crannies. A quick check on Google for the weather forecast for our destinations might change things up at the last minute, as does the specific time of year. I'll make a game-day decision on which type of outerwear to select; e.g. if it looks like lots of rain, I might even bring my Arc'teryx Gore-Tex jacket. Of course, I wear my most bulky items on the plane, both to save room in my luggage, and to keep the chill off during the trans-Atlantic flight.

Rich's packing list for Europe:
  • 1 x pair lightweight travel pants (khaki)*
  • 1 x pair 5-pocket chinos (sand/coffee)
  • 1 x pair shorts (khaki) in warmer weather, 2 if summer season; none in fall
  • 4 x t-shirts in assorted colours (white, sand, grey, pale blue)*; 2 x LS in fall
  • 2 x short-sleeve, buttoned shirt (light blue, checked); less/none in fall
  • 1 x button-down oxford shirt (white or light blue); more in fall
  • 1 x light sweater (grey or navy cardigan) - optional*
  • 1 x blazer (navy or black) - optional
  • 1 x pair walking shoes (brown or black)*
  • 1 x pair leather loafers (brown)
  • 6 x pairs socks & underwear
  • 1 x rain/travel jacket (optional if bringing travel blazer)
  • 1 x mid-layer jacket - if the season dictates one*
  • 1 x ball cap
* items worn on plane/while travelling; not shown below