Thursday, August 23, 2018

Working towards phase 3

Retirement Life

I spent the better part of a year in "Vacation Time", the first phase of retirement. I didn't spend the entire time doing woodworking, as I also used some of my new free time to fix up all of those niggly little things on my 1967 Mercedes 250SL roadster. I bought it back in 1998 or 99, just a bit before the dot com crash... a good idea in retrospect, otherwise my investment would have turned into a significant loss.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL roadster
Anyhow, it didn't need much work really, but I had been noticing that the value on hagerty.com had been climbing substantially, and since it was mostly collecting dust, I decided it was time to sell it. I ended up doing most of the little things on my own, and then had one minor spot of rust taken care of at the body shop. Three days after listing it on craigslist, I sold my little baby.

Later that year, we decided it was time to get another dog, a Bernese Mountain dog, to be precise. I immediately reached out to the breeder who we got our first one from, and she indicated that she had yearling that had been returned. His name is Buddy, and he had more energy and size than the original owners could handle, so he became my new retirement Buddy.

2-yr old Bernese Mountain Dog named Buddy